I read an article today, written by a woman with a 20 year old son, how fast the time goes. I certainly hear from everyone I know and plenty of people that I don't, that I'm just passing on the street, to enjoy my kids because the time flies by.
And believe me, I've tried to immerse myself in motherhood, to drink in my children to make sure I enjoy those big moments. But even in doing that, I'm still shocked by how old they are now. Yesterday I came across some baby video of Elena, who's now in Kindergarten, and I started to cry. How much I would give to go back to that magical time in our lives. But I can't.
The article surprised me. Instead of whining about how fast the time goes, she did have some good suggestions of how to preserve those special, every day things. One of the things she suggested we do is make a list of ten things we loved at the end of the year. It's already the end of January so we're a little late but here is our list of things we loved from 2014.
1) Our new couch and chair (which arrived for our new apartment) in Sept of 2014.
2) Eliza loved Christmas and getting her sewing machine.
3) Eliza loved her birthday, going to the movies with her friends.
4) Elena loved her birthday party at the little gym with her classmates and then the surprise party that followed at our house which may have been the best party at our house ever.
5) Our trip to the Bahamas! We had the best time there. We loved everything about the Bahamas but particularly Marina Village.
6) Eliza loved a birthday pool party that she went to at Ava Gronberg's house.
7) We loved the fireworks at Windward Beach in July. We saw that girl summer and her little sister for the third year in a row and they gave the girls glow in the dark necklaces.
8) Eliza loved her dance competition, even though we had to get up at 4:30 in the morning and we didn't get home until after 5pm.
9) We loved seeing the Christmas store windows at Macy's and then having dinner at Lombardy's pizza.
10) We loved the opening of the new North Pavillion pool.
2014 was a tough year for us. We moved, I started a terrible job that I got fired from right before Christmas. But we did have some good times, some times I hope we'll never forget.