Total Pageviews

Friday, January 15, 2010

Filet Mignon would be so nice

As much as I love both my daughters, let's face it the games a four-year-old plays can be so tedious. It seems that my daughter has been obsessed with food since birth; first the boob, then sweet potatoes, then a fish stew I couldn't shovel in her mouth fast enough, then chocolate ice cream and endless bottles of milk. I don't remember when I got her the first set of pretend food, I only know that from day one, it's been the favorite. Not the first set, most of which is gone, but any pretend food. Her Melissa and Doug ice cream set might be the all-time most played with toy and it doesn't even show signs of wear and tear. Chrissa's picnic lemonade set from the American Girl store easily gets more play than all of the dolls Eliza owns combined. It may have been the best $25 I've ever spent.

The only problem is Eliza wants to pour lemonade and play picnic constantly. I can't tell you how many thousands of pretend calories I've consumed slurping that lemonade. The set also contains little sandwiches and watermelon slices. Yesterday, when Eliza decided to play beach, naturally the picnic set got in on the act as well. No one goes to the beach without sandwiches and lemonade, right?

Tired of beach and the endless cups of lemonade, when Eliza opened her beach bag ready to offer me another "picnic snack" I requested filet mignon. This would stump her and hopefully end this endless waltz of slurpy mime chewing.

"les-ignon?" Eliza looked at me quizzically. "Is that another word for sandwich?"

I laughed and shook my head. "It's like steak," I said.

"I don't have steak,"Eliza said. "How about this yummy, delicious sandwich?"

"Sure," I said, probably sounding similar to a tire deflating. I long for spring and real picnics outside with both my girls. But for now, it's a carpet beach day and fake sandwiches with an endless pitcher of pink lemonade.

No comments: