Total Pageviews

Monday, October 10, 2011

My Mama


Pancreatic cancer is the number one cancer killer. It's not number one based on how many people die from it (more people are diagnosed with colon cancer) it's just number one in the sense that if you get it, it kills you.

With the recent death of Steve Jobs, pancreatic cancer is all over the news. The statistics are grim. Most people diagnosed with it die within 12 months of diagnosis, by the time you have symptoms it's too late, blah blah, blah blah. I keep remember the title of a James Morrison biography I read in 8th grade, "No One Here Gets Out Alive." It could be the sing outside the door at a pancreatic cancer clinic.

Having said that, I'm in complete denial when it comes to the idea that pancreatic cancer is the number one cancer killer and that my mother has it. She says she feels better than she has in years. I believe it, end of story. She's going out more, she's happier, she's enjoying life a little more. She's still pretty tired and doesn't do much. But she's doing some things like going to the Walk Far for Autism Research yesterday.

She told me yesterday that she feels great, that the cancer was in there making her sick and now it's gone. Call it denial, call it a coping mechanism, call it whatever you like. Mom feels better and for now we are going with it. Now that she realizes her days may be numbered, she's actually letting me photograph her. So here's one of her with my two girls from the walk yesterday. Notice the way my older girl is draped across her because man oh man, does that kid love my mom. And then notice the similar facial features between my mom and the little one.

Let this photo just be one of many.

1 comment:

Patty said...

What a great picture~!!!!! I know it is one you will cherish - she is beautiful and looks so happy!!!! (The same goes for your girls)!